
Uganda has confirmed three new Ebola infections, deepening fears over the growing outbreak linked to neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, where health authorities are already battling a worsening crisis.
The latest development came barely 24 hours after the World Health Organisation raised the Ebola risk level in DR Congo to its highest category, warning that the outbreak now poses a serious threat across the region.
Ugandan health authorities announced on Saturday, May 23, 2026, that the fresh infections have pushed the total number of confirmed Ebola cases in the country to five since the outbreak was first detected on May 15.
According to the Ugandan Ministry of Health, the newly confirmed cases involve a Ugandan driver, a Ugandan health worker and a woman from the Democratic Republic of Congo, regarded as the epicentre of the outbreak.
“Three new cases of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) have been confirmed in the country,” the Ministry said in a statement posted on X.
Authorities confirmed that all three patients are currently alive and receiving treatment.
The World Health Organisation had on Friday classified the Ebola risk in DR Congo as “very high,” while describing the broader regional threat across Central Africa as “high.” However, the global risk level remains “low.”
Ebola is a highly dangerous viral disease transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids. The illness can lead to severe internal bleeding, organ failure and death.
According to WHO figures, DR Congo has already recorded 82 confirmed Ebola cases and seven confirmed deaths, alongside nearly 750 suspected infections and 177 suspected fatalities.
Health experts believe the outbreak may have been spreading unnoticed for some time before authorities detected it.
The current outbreak is linked to the rare Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, for which there are presently no approved vaccines or specific treatments.
Uganda had earlier suspended all public transportation to DR Congo on Thursday after confirming its first two Ebola-related cases involving Congolese nationals who crossed into the country. One of the cases resulted in death.
Authorities said the Ugandan driver confirmed infected on Saturday had transported one of the infected Congolese nationals into Uganda.
The infected health worker was also exposed while treating the same patient.
The third confirmed case involved a Congolese woman who had reportedly received treatment in Kampala for abdominal pain before being discharged in good condition on May 14. She later tested positive for Ebola after returning to DR Congo.
Uganda’s Ministry of Health said all persons who had contact with the infected individuals had been identified and placed under close monitoring.
WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, described the outbreak situation in DR Congo as “especially challenging,” citing insecurity and poor access in affected communities.
According to him, health workers are struggling to contain the virus in remote and conflict-ridden areas while attempting to trace possible contacts of infected persons.
The outbreak is centred in eastern DR Congo, a region that borders several African countries including Uganda and has faced decades of violence involving multiple armed groups.
Health officials said the virus was first detected in Ituri Province before spreading to South Kivu, including territories currently controlled by the Rwanda-backed M23 militia.
In several rural communities, residents have reportedly accused the Congolese government of responding too slowly to the outbreak, as fears continue to grow over the possibility of wider regional transmission.
Ebola outbreaks have killed more than 15,000 people across Africa over the past five decades.