
Workers under the Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) at the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) have suspended their planned protest but warned of fresh industrial action if WAEC fails to honour agreements.
The suspension followed intervention by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, which brokered a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with WAEC on March 10, 2025. The MoU required WAEC to resume automatic deduction and remittance of NASU check-off dues without imposing new conditions.
However, NASU says WAEC issued another internal memo on March 14 introducing fresh requirements for the deductions, which were not part of the agreement. The union described the move as a breach of the MoU and an attempt to undermine trade union activities.
Speaking on the development, NASU leaders said workers agreed to suspend the protest to allow room for dialogue, but warned that patience was running out. They gave WAEC a seven-day ultimatum to withdraw the March 14 memo, fully implement the MoU, stop victimising union leaders, and comply with labour laws.
“If WAEC fails to comply, NASU will take legal action, mobilise for a nationwide strike, notify the Nigeria Labour Congress and the International Labour Organisation, and shut down all WAEC operations across Nigeria,” the union stated.
The dispute centres on deductions of union dues, welfare concerns, and allegations of victimisation against NASU leaders. NASU argues that WAEC’s actions violate Section 5(3)(a) of the Labour Act and ILO Conventions 87 and 98, which protect workers’ right to organise and bargain collectively.
WAEC had earlier denied claims of victimisation, saying it remains a law-abiding institution committed to fairness and due process.
For now, the protest is on hold, but NASU says it is monitoring WAEC’s compliance closely and will not hesitate to resume action if the council defaults.