Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy at Ataoja Palace as Security Operatives Exchange Fire in Osogbo
Suspected hoodlums reportedly opened fire near the Ataoja of Osogbo’s palace as Governor Ademola Adeleke and his security team departed following his Certificate of Return ceremony.

OSOGBO, OSUN STATE: Tension and panic reportedly erupted around the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums opened fire while Governor Ademola Adeleke was visiting the traditional ruler.
The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), following his victory in the August 15, 2026 Osun State governorship election.
According to reports, Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a motorcade of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the INEC office in Osogbo.
The governor was at the palace to formally present his Certificate of Return to the monarch and express appreciation for the traditional ruler’s support following his re-election.
How the shooting started
Trouble reportedly began as the governor’s visit was coming to an end.
An eyewitness told reporters that Adeleke had already left the palace hall and entered the vehicle conveying him and some of his close aides when heavy gunfire suddenly erupted.
The attackers were reportedly travelling in an unregistered Toyota Sienna Space Bus and were said to have approached the area through the Ita Olokan axis of Osogbo.
According to eyewitness accounts, the suspected hoodlums exchanged gunfire with security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy.
Reports differ slightly on the duration of the shooting. Channels Television reported that the gun battle lasted approximately 12 to 15 minutes, while another account put the intense shooting at about three minutes.
The attackers reportedly fled the area in the Sienna vehicle after security personnel responded.
Security personnel returned fire.
A source quoted by Vanguard said the suspected hoodlums were shooting from around the palace’s main gate while members of the governor’s security team responded from inside the palace.
The exchange of gunfire reportedly became intense, causing traders and residents around the Oja Oba area to panic.
Another eyewitness account alleged that shots were fired towards the palace entrance and that the main gate was damaged during the confrontation. However, this particular detail has not been independently verified by an official security statement.
Commissioner confirms incident
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that gunshots were fired as the governor left the palace.
Alimi said the governor’s security team engaged the suspected hoodlums but added that the circumstances that triggered the confrontation were not immediately known.
According to the commissioner, officials only heard that an altercation had occurred between different groups outside the palace before the shooting began.
He said it was not immediately clear what caused the altercation or which groups were involved.
Shop owners and traders panicked.
A shop owner near the palace, identified as Laide Misture, reportedly said traders began hearing gunshots shortly after the governor and his entourage entered the palace.
The sudden sound of gunfire reportedly caused fear among traders and residents around the area, with some people said to have moved away from the scene and businesses temporarily shutting their doors.
The shooting reportedly happened while the monarch was hosting the governor, adding to the tension because of the governor’s presence and the size of his security convoy.
No confirmed casualties reported
At the time of publication, reports available from the sources reviewed did not confirm any death or injury arising from Wednesday’s confrontation.
The governor reportedly left the area safely after security personnel repelled the attackers.
There has also been no confirmed information establishing that the shooting was an assassination attempt against Adeleke.
The motive of the attackers remains unclear, and authorities have not publicly established whether the incident was connected to the recent political tensions surrounding the Osun governorship election.
The incident comes amid previous political violence.
The latest shooting is particularly significant because Osogbo has witnessed politically related violence in recent months.
In June 2026, the Ataoja of Osogbo had alleged that armed men invaded his palace during a period of heightened political tension. Governor Adeleke subsequently said the monarch had been shot at during the incident.
However, the Osun State Police Command later disputed the assassination claim, saying an intruder entered the palace unarmed.
Wednesday’s incident therefore comes against an already tense political backdrop in the state.
Adeleke had earlier called for peace.
Earlier on Wednesday, while receiving his Certificate of Return, Adeleke said he had forgiven those who might have offended him during the election and declared that he held no grudge against his political opponents.
He dedicated the certificate to the people of Osun State and described the occasion as a day of gratitude following his re-election.
The governor also announced plans for a ₦500 million Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund to provide support to verified victims and families affected by election-related violence.
The shooting at the Ataoja’s palace, coming only hours after those remarks, has renewed concerns about security and political violence in Osun State.
Security agencies are expected to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting, identify those involved and determine whether the incident was politically motivated.